- Read the defense in layers. Safeties, linebackers, D-line. Read what coverage the safeties are running, which will tell you what all the DBs are doing. Then the LBs: if one is missing, find the receiver in that hole. Then look at the D-line to find out where the first pressure will come from.
What makes a good defense in football?
Great defensive linemen in American football need a combination of size, speed, strength, and durability, which isn’t found in many players. A good defensive lineman has the majority of these qualities: Quickness enables a defensive lineman to react and get in the proper position before being blocked.
What is a cover 6 defense?
Cover 6 (also known as quarter, quarter, half) is a common coverage in modern day football. Cover 6 is a great coverage to use when an offensive team likes to put its backside receiver on the weak side. This will allow the defense to cloud cover the backside receiver, when the defense is in 3×1 sets.
How do you read a receiver?
Here they are:
- Read the receiver’s hip/abdomen area.
- Initially break toward the receiver’s break-side shoulder.
- Always get to the receiver before you look for the ball; if you see the QB throw it, you’ll only see the receiver catch it.
- When lining up, you want to keep an inside leverage on the receiver.
What does a wide receiver do in football?
The wide receiver’s principal role is to catch forward passes from the quarterback. On passing plays, the receiver attempts to avoid, outmaneuver, or simply outrun the cornerbacks or safeties typically defending him. If the receiver becomes open on his pass route, the quarterback may throw a pass to him.
What is defense football?
Defense. The defensive team, simply known as the “defense,” is the team that begins a play from scrimmage without possession of the ball. The objective of the defensive team is to prevent the other team from scoring and win possession of the ball for their side.
How does football defense work?
The goal of the defense is to stop the offense from getting 10 yards in four plays. If they can do this their team gets the ball back. Defenses also try to get the ball through a turnover like a fumble or interception. Their main job is pass defense, but they also help out if runners get past the linebackers.
What does a 4 3 defense look like?
A 4-3 defense is a defense that incorporates four (4) down linemen and three (3) linebackers. You will also see two (2) cornerbacks, one strong safety, and one free safety. One of the simplest and most common looks that you will see out of a 4-3 defense is a two-deep zone, or Cover 2 look.